Monday, June 26, 2006

Holiday Highlights

On the day we left for Orlando from New York, we walk out to the street to take a limo to the airport & this is what we see...



...these white trailers are lined up along the street outside my MIL's apartment building.

Then I see these things stuck on lamp posts along the same street...



THEY WERE GOING TO BE FILMING SPIDERMAN 3 ON LOCATION RIGHT OUTSIDE THE APARTMENT BUILDING WHERE WE WERE STAYING!!!

My younger son & I had half a mind to stay behind & forego Orlando just so we could watch the film-making process...sigh...but we didn't as plans had been made months ahead of time & we didn't want to spoil it for everyone.

That's the cool thing about being in a city like New York. There's always a movie being made somewhere. During the time we were there, apart from Spiderman 3, 2 other movies were also being shot there (one was called "Enchanted", the other "The Spring in Her Step").

Be that as it may, I don't think I would want to live in NYC. It's too in-your-face for my liking. I prefer a more laid-back existence, preferably somewhere where I can appreciate nature in all its glory.

We did visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art which houses an amazing collection of art & historical pieces from around the world.


The place is huge & you could spend a whole day there & not finish viewing everything. Our poor feet could not tolerate the pressure so we only spent 4 hours there, seeing selective areas.



THE HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH

Honestly speaking, I think most adults can only enjoy the Disney theme parks if they go with a young child. I remember enjoying them more when the kids were younger.

We did Epcot Center & Animal Kingdom. Epcot was good for the most part, except for the fact that Hurricane Alberto brought along torrents of rain while we were there so we spent half the time trying to stay dry in our rain ponchos (unsuccessfully).



I was disappointed with Animal Kingdom as I kept comparing it with our local zoo (which is pretty darned good as far as world-wide zoo standards are concerned). The Living Tree attraction seemed too contrived for me to really enjoy it. The best part of this park was the Dinosaur ride, but that was about it.



UNIVERSAL STUDIOS & ISLANDS OF ADVENTURE

My boys (as well as A & I) enjoyed these parks more so than the Disney ones. Probably because it catered more to teenaged & adult patrons. The rides & attractions are developed so that one feels like one is part of the fantasy, with the help of a combination of 3-D technology, animatronics & live action stunts.

My favourites were the MIB: Alien Attack (you get to shoot at "aliens" with a laser gun while your vehicle brings you through a haphazard ride through the "streets"); Terminator 2 (a stunt show/3-D experience which amazingly meshed live action with film starring Arnold himself); and Spiderman (a ride combined with 3-D technology so that you actually feel as if you are being attacked by Doc Ock, the Green Goblin, etc & then rescued by Spidey himself).

The boys & A enjoyed the Revenge of the Mummy ride which I decided to sit out of, as my vestibular system was still reeling from the Alien Attack & the ride Back To The Future!

Now, I just need to recuperate from the vacation!

No comments: