Monday, June 19, 2006

Checking in...

A quick post from the Big Apple since I have managed to hijack a wireless signal :)

Two weeks away from home...am ready to go back but still have a few more days before we leave.
New York is, well....New York.
The sights, sounds & smells are unmistakable; you are inundated by them night & day. It is truly a city that never sleeps. I hear sirens from ambulances/police cars/fire trucks even in the wee hours of the night.
The hustle & bustle hits you from all sides as you walk down the streets, be it in Chinatown, or Park Avenue, or Broadway. People of all shapes & sizes, speaking a multitude of languages, of different colors, a true melting pot.
The site of the Two Towers still stands bare when I look towards it from Broadway; I visited the site two years ago. Sad. I don't want to go again...no need to. We see the results of terror everyday in the media. Time to move on.
Food - honestly, I miss the good ol' hawker food of
singapore! Tah mee, wanton noodles (not the kind you get here in Chinatown - too bland for my singaporean palate), curry chicken, nasi lemak. Went to Carnegie Deli, famous for its various kinds of sandwiches. Ridiculously large portions...sandwiches 6 inches high (I'm not kidding you). I thought it was over-rated, but then that's just me. Food here in the States in great abundance, but much of it terribly unhealthy. Eg. on the menu in a Cracker Barrel: Fried steak - steak dipped in batter & deep fried, served with mashed potatoes & gravy. Choice of vegetable sides: Turnip greens (Taylor Hick's fave...I tried it; tasted like pickled cabbage...yeech), mashed potatoes, potato wedges, french fries (see the trend here?), apple sauce(!!!), corn (the only remotely healthy vege I found). No wonder the high proportion of morbid obesity here...


Time for breakfast...bagel with cream cheese...sigh...no mee pok...

More later...

No comments: