Saturday, July 24, 2010

Reunion

This weekend, my schoolmates from secondary school will meet for our 30th year reunion. I will not be able to join them as I am here in the US for the summer, but my thoughts will be with them as they get together & reminisce.

It is hard for me to come to grips with the fact that is has been THREE DECADES since we graduated from secondary school.

THREE DECADES.

That seems like a heck of a long time to me...much longer than it feels. I haven't seen some of them since the last day of school back in 1980. I have connected with a few through Facebook, and to be honest, if I didn't know it was them, I may not have recognized their faces if I were to pass them on the street somewhere.

Thirty years ago, many of us would not have been able to imagine that we are what/where/who we are now - wives/mothers/widows/divorcees, most still in Singapore, but many scattered throughout the globe, working/having worked in politics/education/health care/finance/law/banking/media. I like to think that most of us have made our mark in whichever arena we have chosen our careers in, and that our teachers would be proud of us.

I am sure they will have a great time remembering our school days, ex-classmates & teachers.

I wish I could be there too.

2 comments:

nofearSingapore said...

Hi,
After one of our Medical school classmates died suddenly and a few others had close shaves, our medical class of 84 decided to have more get-togethers. We just had a mini-kopi session recently and will go Penang to meet up with some Malaysian classmates.
With age, nostalgia creeps in and our priorities are less in career and the almighty dollar and more in friendship and family.
Dr Huang

aliendoc said...

very true, Dr Huang!