Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Driver's Ed

Z. got his learner's permit a couple of days ago. Because we do not live in the US, his acquisition of a driver's license has been delayed, compared to his peers in the US. His previous classmates now living in the States got at least their learner's permits at the age of 15 or 16 (depending on which state they live in), and now, at the ripe old age of 18, have their full license to drive. (The thought of a 15 year old behind the wheel makes me shudder).

He has driven under the guidance of our driver in China on the mostly empty suburban roads of Beijing. He is, apparently, a steady driver, according to our faithful driver. He has also acquired some degree of road sense from riding around on mopeds around our neighborhood.

Having said that, it does not lessen the nervousness of riding in a car whilst one's first born is at the wheel. I am trying to let him practise a bit more before his road test next week. I hope my nerves survive, though I have to admit that he is more steady on the road than I ever was at 18.

1 comment:

rugs said...

welcome to the nerves-shot-to-bits club