Thursday, March 09, 2006

Young At Heart

I turn 42 in a few weeks. I certainly don’t feel 42 in my head, although my body & its various parts beg to differ & remind me of that fact constantly. And I sometimes need my sons to help me read the date on my watch :).

I can still appreciate contemporary music & don’t limit my selection of listening pleasure to songs from the 70’s & 80’s. Matter of fact, the radio stations that are “memorized” in my car’s stereo system play contemporary & rock music. Michael Buble, Linkin Park, Green Day, Maroon 5, James Blunt, count among some of my favourite musicians to listen (& even sing along!) to. Admittedly, I don’t do research into these artistes bio-data & memorise their dates of birth, favourite food, names of pets etc. like I used to do as a teenybopper screaming over Donny Osmond’s purple socks.

I occasional drool over hunks like Brad Pitt, & enjoy looking at nicely toned 6-packs (& hubby is OK with it. Really.)

I can still empathize with my teenage & pre-teen sons, nephews & niece. I know all the angst (ha! One of my favorite words!) that they feel during this hormone-filled phase of their lives.

Just the other day, my husband commented amusedly, “You’re still such a kid!” when I almost jumped up & down with excitement upon seeing a documentary on ‘How Star Trek Has Affected Technology ‘ on the Discovery Channel. During one of hubby’s usual channel surfing sessions, I had caught a glimpse of William Shatner narrating while clips from the various series of Star Trek played. I forced him to stay on that channel while I watched the two back-to-back episodes that night. I am a closet Trekkie (actually just ST:TNG or Star Trek: The Next Generation for the uninitiated; & to a lesser degree, ST Voyager); in fact, only my immediate family (i.e. hubby & sons) knows that I have watched every single episode of ST:TNG thanks to syndication in the US ☺, have actually attended two Star Trek conventions while living in the US (and no, I did not dress up as a Klingon nor a Ferringhi☺) & went to the Star Trek exhibition in Suntec City when it came to Singapore a few years ago.

Yeah, I still feel like a kid sometimes. I am not going to conform to society’s perception of what a woman approaching middle age is supposed to look like or be like. My motto in life now is "Live & Let Live". That’s the great thing that comes with maturity, life experiences & growing older – self-confidence and a greater appreciation for life.

Oh, and one more thing…I don’t need reading glasses yet. Really.

2 comments:

iml said...

How old you are pretty much depends on how old you feel. As long as we are comfortable and look presentable in our dressing, who say there is a dress code for the 40s??? Most Women today look their best in their 40s I believe. They are more comfortable with themselves with many having achieved financial security and most of all a family. I too will be 42 soon. I am at lost sometimes as to how we 40s should be seen or heard. Happy birthday!!!!

aliendoc said...

Thanks!