Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Letting go

I wonder how many mothers out there are really prepared for their child's first romance...

My first born is taking another step towards adulthood. I just found out that he is the "apple" of someone's eyes in school, and has been the recipient of "sweet" messages from this certain someone.

I have to say that I did not expect the wrench of my heartstrings when I discovered this new development. It hit my gut like a punch. I am not ready to let go of my "baby", and for him to be the object of someone's puppy love. I admit that I am jealously guarding him (probably in futility) from female advances of the romantic kind.

At the same time, I don't want to hinder his emotional and social growth so that he would become one of those men who are unable to hold a decent conversation with a girl without breaking into a sweat or stuttering.

This motherhood thing is gut-wrenching!!!

No comments: