I take precautions with food preparation here, as China does not have a particular good reputation as far as food is concerned.
- I try to buy organic or green food when & where I can find it.
- I go marketing at reputable stores.
- As for fruits & vegetables, I have resorted to using vegetable detergent to clean off any remnants of pesticides (according to a neighbour with a degree in Chemistry from Columbia, the detergent helps to wash off any residue of oil-based pesticides), then rinse off three times with filtered water, then soak for at least 10 minutes before draining off. I know, the water soluble vitamins get leached off by doing so, but I'd rather get my vitamins elsewhere than to risk contaminated food.
- We cook with filtered water.
- We avoid eating at roadside stalls with questionable hygiene practices.
- I avoid eating salads in restaurants.
But I know, despite precautions, there will always be a chance of that little bit of contaminated food that will make us puke & purge. Speaking of which, excuse me please...I feel the urge again...
*GE = Gastroenteritis