Monday, April 23, 2007

Green Day

War.

Terrorism.

AIDS.

Cancer.

Unnatural selection, I call it. Much like Darwin’s theory of natural selection, it seems to be the modern day version of evolution.

Will we one day be a peaceful society, free of AIDS, cancer? Maybe. But new diseases will crop up. Global warming, which seems to be the political in thing now, seems to be slowly & surely creeping up on us. Mankind’s pollution of the Earth & exhaustion of our natural resources will one day prove to be our downfall. These seemingly insurmountable obstacles, which despite efforts of many trying to overcome with education & deeds, are uphill battles to fight.

A vast country like China, with the largest population in the world, wanting to keep up with the Jones’s, has its work cut out for itself when it comes to educating its people about the environment. Many just want to make money, by hook or by crook. Some resort to unethical practices, like the recently discovered melamine poisoning of certain rice protein & wheat gluten products used for making pet food; or the previous debacle involving tainted milk powder. Pollution of the environment by various industries remains a huge problem.

Extinction.

That’s my rather depressing forecast. It will not happen in my lifetime, or even in my children’s lifetime. But I think it will happen one day.

Despite my pessimism, I think we still need to try & beat the odds. So, I’m going to try to stick with Green Food as far as possible. And recycle. Those are my first small steps.

No comments: