Friday, November 24, 2006

Separation Anxiety

I think emotionally, I haven’t yet come to terms with the fact that we will be leaving Singapore in just over a month. I’ve been so busy taking care of the practical side of things like arranging moving dates, selling stuff etc. that I really haven’t had time to ruminate over what this move will mean.

This will not be the first time that I am moving away. Fourteen years ago, we left this island with an infant in tow. I was too excited about living in a new place & meeting new people to really be overcome with any kind of sadness over leaving. Definitely I missed my family & friends. But I was too busy with having to take care of a young child, & settling down to wallow in any form of misery (not that I am the wallowing kind in the first place!)

This time around, both my kids are more independent & don’t need round the clock care like 14 years ago (!!!). I will have more time to myself, since domestic help is readily available in China. I certainly don’t plan to immerse myself in self-pity. I hear that expats there make friends more easily than here in Singapore, for some reason. Hopefully that will prove to be true, as I find that the older I get, the harder it is to establish firm friendships like the kind that endures since childhood or college. That kind of comfort level where you can meet each other & feel immediately at home even though you have been apart for a number of years…that is the kind of intimacy that close & old friends share that is hard to capture in new friendships.

I know for sure that I will miss being able to visit with my parents/siblings/best friends when I feel like it. And I will miss the fluid efficiency of the way things are run here (despite our frequent complaining!), not to mention local hawker fare.

But with technology, Mom/Dad/Sis/Bro are just a phone or Skype call away, we can even use the webcam to have face-to-face conversations without having to worry about long distance phone bills. And a six hour flight is not that far away for one to visit or be visited by family.

1 comment:

ZOverLord said...

If you need any translation help, you can use Skype as well for this. The Universal Chat Translator and Speaker can automatically translate Skype chats using 38 language pairs, and speaks them as well. For more information Click Here