Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Things that go Bump in the Night

I watched a pseudo-documentary yesterday about movie director M. Night Shyamalan, who has given us great thrillers like "The Sixth Sense" (my favourite of all his movies), "Signs", "Unbreakable" & "The Village". All these movies have the common theme of 'things are not what they seem to be'. The documentary, done in a very tongue-in-cheek manner, implied that Night himself 'sees dead people', much like the character, Cole, did in The Sixth Sense. Although I loved the movie, especially the twist at the end, it scared me to bits! Boy, was I glad then, that my night call days were over & I did not have to wander the hospital from ward to ward in the still of the night...

I have heard stories of certain hospitals here being haunted by spirits; unsurprising, as many of them were pre-war buildings, & were used during the Japanese Occupation for God knows what. One of these hospitals, apparently had hidden tunnels under its grounds, in which the Japanese invaders imprisoned patients & left them there to die.

Fortunately, I do not possess a sixth sense (thank God!) & would be totally oblivious even if an unsettled spirit waved its appendages in front of my face & did the mamba - a blessing, as once upon a time, I did have to wander through the dark corridors of an old maternity hospital to patients located in different blocks...it certainly had the right atmosphere for a horror movie.

Colleagues have told me that certain areas in certain hospitals are notorious for being "inhabited" by restless spirits, but I have yet to hear a first-hand account of such an encounter. So far, it has all been just hearsay. Maybe someone should compile a "True Hospital Ghost Stories" book.

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

hello! i watched that movie too. btw, email is pau_vfhm@hotmail.com or vanessafoohuimin@gmail.com