Tuesday, April 25, 2006

My Baby

My little cherub graduates from Middle School in a few weeks.





This picture was taken almost 14 years ago. He is now a strapping young man who has outgrown both my husband & me (in size), & probably knows more about IT related stuff than I do.

This may seem like a minor achievement to all you non-parents out there, but for parents (well, for me anyway), every step they take, no matter how small, is a milestone. Each milestone marks the end of one phase of your child’s life, & heralds the beginning of a new one. My son goes into high school come August & I know that the 4 years will fly by in the blink of an eye & off to college he will then go. Each milestone brings the child closer to the day when he (or she) leaves home, which I know will suddenly feel incomplete without my baby (& eventually my babies) there.

Once, my younger son said to me, “I’m NOT a baby” in response to something we were discussing regarding childish behaviour (I forget the details ... age, you know.). My response to him was: “You may not be A baby, but you & your brother will always be MY babies no matter how old you are.” That pretty much silenced him!

My message to the mothers out there: cherish the time you have with your little ones now…because time DOES fly & you will need to let them go sooner than you think.

No comments: