Sunday, January 17, 2010

"Don't Be Evil"

I read this article about Google's threat to leave China & for some peculiar reason, it reminded me about the doctoring situation in Singapore. I've been getting negative vibes from reading about complaints left, right & center about doctors' overcharging for their services, bad outcomes from aesthetic procedures, death from liposuction, doctors being late at their clinics, and so on & so forth. Being a doctor in Singapore does not seem to be something that is looked upon very favorably at the present moment.

Much of the negativity is probably justified. However, that doesn't take away the disheartenment I feel and even some sadness to see my profession being given a bad name. It seems like the media has focused on the bad apples rather than the good ones, which doesn't help matters at all.

I guess for me, Google taking a stand for their beliefs against the Goliath that is the Chinese government is akin to those family practitioners in Singapore who slog on & practise good medicine & not succumb to the temptation of the all mighty dollar by going into aesthetics exclusively, which many have done so.

Whether or not Google will follow through with this threat, who knows?

I, for one, am hoping that they will. Although it may not make economic sense, it would leave some spark of hope that for some, money is not the be all and end all of everything, and that standing up for one's beliefs and doing what is right is more important.

Don't Be Evil.

Do No Harm.

Sound very similar to me.

No comments: