Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Holiday Season


Been bloody busy - that's the reason why I have not been updating as often as I would have liked. Who woulda thought that a non-working person could be so busy??? No complaining though, as I am thoroughly enjoying my "work" as a parent volunteer in school. And no, I don't miss clinical practice at all (I have been asked this question ad nauseum when people realize that I used to be a doctor in my previous life:)).

The boys are in their finals week & are off for 3 weeks. We are heading towards tropical climes, where I am looking forward to Sun, Sea, Sand & Spa (not necessarily in that order). I don't mind the cold here in Beijing but I really do miss the sounds of the waves & the salty smell of the ocean breezes. We leave Christmas day, so will celebrate with a Chinese-style Christmas feast of "huo guo" (or hot pot) that is so popular here in the winter. Mmm...good.

This is Z's "last" Christmas with us before heading to college, his first step towards independence. Certainly, I hope that he will be able to spend Christmases with us, as long as we can afford the air fares back here (or wherever we may be!) But I know it will be different somehow, once he has flown the nest. Our nuclear family unit will not be the same again. Oh dear, I am starting to sound morose.

Anyway, on to happier topics, at least one college application has been successful, I am happy to say. Whew. The others will take another four months or so before we find out.

Well, here's wishing everyone a happy Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwaanza/New Year!

No comments: